Description of position: what you do, your range of duties, a typical days work, etc.
I work predominantly in family law, assisting clients to resolve property disputes and parenting matters. The complexity varies from case to case.
Due to the all-encompassing nature of Family Law, I also often assist clients with Wills and Estate Planning, Intervention Order proceedings and minor criminal law matters.
Qualifications: Degrees. Diplomas, memberships etc
Bachelor of Law (Hons)
Bachelor of Business
Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice
How long you’ve been with the firm
I have been working at Schembri & Co Lawyers since February 2019.
Career Summary: How many years you’ve been in this line of work, or in the legal industry and what roles you have done
I have been working in the legal industry since 2013. I have also volunteered for a number of organisations including as follows:
- Loddon Campaspe Community Legal Centre;
- Commission of Inquiry Now;
- Prison Legal Education Assistance;
- Mental Health Legal Centre; and
- Darabin Community Legal Centre.
I was admitted into legal practice on 15 August 2017. Since being admitted, I have worked predominantly in Family Law.
- Assisting an elderly woman to obtain a property settlement in circumstances where her estranged husband was extremely violent and adamantly against providing her with anything and, later, obtained Enforcement Orders in her favour.
- Obtaining Parenting Orders for substantial and significant time for a Father who was being prevented from spending any meaningful time with his son.
- Negotiated successful resolutions for clients in both property and parenting matters without the need for a costly Final Hearing.
- Successfully running various matters through to a Final Hearing and obtaining positive outcomes for clients.
What you like best about the work you do: why it interests, excites or challenges you
I love working with clients and assisting them to obtain outcomes that are suited to their needs and requirements. It is an immensely emotional journey for clients, and I try and alleviate their stresses and concerns as much as possible by ensuring that I am completing my work to the best of my ability and always thinking three steps ahead. By doing this, I am able to achieve successful outcomes whilst also keeping costs as low as possible.
Why you enjoy working at our firm
I enjoy working at Schembri & Co Lawyers due to the environment that it provides. We work in a collaborative manner and everyone’s door is always open meaning that our clients have the benefit of getting not just the best of myself, but the firm as a whole.
Interests outside of work: philanthropic interest, hobbies, recent trips, noteworthy or meaningful accomplishments, family etc.
My interests outside of work are running, travel and spending time with my family.